Burn Permit Information
How Do I Get Permission to Burn?
- Permission for open burning is granted only on the day of the burn.
- Advanced permission or large burns requiring assistance must be directed through the Department/Fire Chief of the address or location where burning will take place.
- All requests for open and controlled burning must be logged through the Central Burn Line: 785-403-0108
- When calling the Central Burn Line, be prepared to provide the following information:
- address/location of the burn
- type of burn
- name of individual responsible for the burn
- phone number for direct connect in case of emergency
- If the Central Burn Line is answered by a recorded message, follow the instructions provided.
- You are not required to have permits in each fire district where you have or maintain property. Neighboring districts have agreed to honor the written permits as long as you still call an authorized person in the district in which you want to burn, BEFORE YOU BURN.
Burn Permits In Jefferson County
Uncontrolled and unauthorized open burning may result in unintended destruction of property and may cause unnecessary strain on the resources of the County’s volunteer fire departments. With that in mind Jefferson County adopted Resolution 2019-010 requiring permits for all open burning in the County.
An annual permit can be obtained from the fire chief in your area. A list of fire chiefs and their contact information is maintained on this website. If you are not sure what fire district to call, use the interactive map on this website to determine which district you are in. After an annual permit is obtained, those who wish to burn must still obtain approval before every burn.