General Notice

General Notice to Control Noxious Weeds

The Kansas Noxious Weed Law K.S.A. 2-1314 et seq. requires all persons who own or supervise land in Kansas to control and eradicate all weeds declared noxious by legislative action.The weeds declared noxious are: FIELD BINDWEED, MUSK THISTLE, JOHNSON GRASS, SERICEA LESPEDEZA, BUR RAGWEED, CANADA THISTLE, LEAFY SPURGE, HOARY CRESS, QUACK GRASS, RUSSIAN KNAPWEED, KUDZU AND PIGNUT.Notice is hereby given pursuant to the Kansas Noxious Weed Law to every person who owns or supervises land in Jefferson County that noxious weeds growing or found on such land shall be controlled and eradicated.Control is defined as preventing the production of viable seed and the vegetative spread of the plant.

Failure to observe this notice may result in Jefferson County:
  1. Serving a legal notice requiring control of the noxious weeds within a minimum of five days.Failure to control the noxious weeds within the time period allowed may result in the county treating the noxious weeds at the landowners expense and placing a lien on the property if the bill is not paid within 30 days or,
  2. Filing criminal charges for non-compliance.Conviction for non-compliance may result in a fine of $100 per day of non-compliance with a maximum fine of $1500.
The public is also hereby notified that it is a violation of the Kansas Noxious Weed Law to barter, sell or give away infested nursery stock or livestock feed unless the feed is fed on the farm wheregrownor sold to a commercial processor that will destroy the viability of the noxious weed seed.Custom harvesting machines must be labeled with a label provided by the Kansas Department of Agriculture and must be free of all weed seed and litter when entering the County/State and when leaving a field infested with noxious weeds.

County noxious weed officials shall have at all reasonable times, free access to enter upon premises and to inspect property, both real and personal, regardless of location, in connection with the administration of the Kansas Noxious Weed Law.

A copy of the Annual Noxious Weed Eradication Report or additional information may be obtained from the Jefferson County Noxious Weed Department, 15049 94th Street, Oskaloosa, Kansas 66066, 785-863-2581 or by contacting the Kansas Department of Agriculture, 109 S.W. 9th Street, Topeka, Kansas 66612.