Certain provisions of State and Federal law require that various public records, or portions of records, remain closed, and either not be available or be restricted. Most closed records contain private information about individuals, KORA list 43 types of records that may be closed (see KSA 45-221 or the complete list), including (but not limited to):
- Medical treatment records of individuals
- Personnel records of County Employees
- Records protected by attorney-client privilege or by rules of evidence.
- Notes and preliminary drafts.
- Criminal investigation records.
- Correspondence with individual citizens.
- Social Security numbers, account numbers and other private information
contained within records that otherwise may be disclosed.