Store at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking, and little or no water. If you must heat food, pack a can of sterno. Select food items that are compact and lightweight.
Include a selection of the following foods in your Disaster Supplies Kit:
- Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, and vegetables
- Canned juices, milk, soup (if powdered, store extra water)
- Staples — salt, sugar, pepper
- High energy foods — peanut butter, jelly, crackers, granola bars, trail mix
- Food for infants, elderly persons, or those with special diets
- Comfort/stress foods — cookies, hard candy, sweetened cereals, lollipops, instant coffee, tea bags