Building Permits

Obtaining a Building Permit

The public is encouraged to phone, 785-403-0000 Option 3, or email Monica Peterson at the Planning and Zoning office to inquire about the process for obtaining a building permit. Verification can be made regarding a parcel's eligibility for a building permit. The parcel can be checked for zoning compliance and potential floodplain areas.

The purpose of the Jefferson County Zoning Regulations is to promote the health, safety, comfort and general welfare of the citizens of Jefferson County. The public is encouraged to contact the Planning and Zoning Office when looking to purchase land for building in the unincorporated area of Jefferson County to check compliance, also.

For information about obtaining a wastewater permit in Jefferson County please call the Health Dept. at 785-403-0025.

Our office can help you determine what Rural Water District you may be located in. For contact information for the Rural Water Districts in Jefferson County click here

For permitted access requirements from a County road you can call the Jefferson County Road and Bridge Dept at 785-403-0279. That department is who handles the 911 addressing for the County. New addresses are not given out unless there is an active building permit for a new dwelling for a property.

For permitted access requirements from a State highway system please see the map here and then the contact information is here depending on whose district you are located in.

You may contact the office by phone at (785) 403-0000 Option 3.  The office is located in the basement of the Jefferson County Courthouse. The physical address is 300 Jefferson St, Oskaloosa, KS, 66066.  Our mailing address is PO Box 628, Oskaloosa, KS 66066.  Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you are planning on coming in to apply for a Building permit please make sure and be at our office by 3:30pm.